Friday, March 14, 2014

Out of Control

When I was younger I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder's book series, "Little House on the Prairie".  I especially liked her book, "The Long Winter".  Well, Winter 2014 certainly has been a long winter (though I wouldn't start complaining too much, unlike Laura's family, we haven't had to resort to a diet solely of potatoes...yet). Winter is not that bad if you really get into it..sledding, snowshoeing, ice skating, hiking and snowmobiling.  I enjoy all those sports except for one - sledding.
I can abide sledding as long as the conditions are ideal.  Meaning, long, low hill with no obstacles or bumps along the way.  I like being in control.  Sledding seems so out of control to me.  Snowshoeing - control.  Sledding - no brakes.  Ice skating - control (well, if you can skate).  Sledding - crazy speed.  Hiking - control.  Sledding -  trees!  Snowmobiling - control.  Sledding - ending up on a bay with breaking ice (o.k..so that may be original to where I grew up).
I feel safe when I am in control.  Throw some unexpected obstacles at me or give me a life going at a speed that's too fast, and I don't feel so safe anymore.
However, the reality is that in this world I will have many obstacles.  The Bible even tells me so.."In this world you will have trouble" (John 16:33).  It may be a relationship gone wrong, loss of a job, a health issue, sending your child to school.  Any number of things that can make us feel that we are not as in control as we thought.
So, what do we do?  Jesus very plainly encourages us in His next breath..."In this world you will have trouble, BUT TAKE HEART, I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).  It is Jesus who is ultimately in control and has ultimately overcome all of those obstacles for us.  We don't know the future, we don't know what His perfect plan may be, but we can hang our hats on this; He told us to TAKE HEART, or be of good cheer because He has gone before us and handled everything already.  It may seem a long way coming, and we may not make any sense of it right now, but your life is in His loving control.

Take heart dear friends.  Always, take heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment