Thursday, October 25, 2012

Luve Project Gone Wrong...

So, I think I got it all wrong.  At least, partly wrong.
I've been teaching the kids about loving each other using the "love chapter" in 1 Corinthians 13.  Each week we were focusing on a different aspect...you know, "love is kind" so don't hit your brother with a stick.
Then it hit me (not the stick).
We love God because He.Loved.Us.First. 
The first thing I need to teach my children, even before teaching them how to love others, is how God loves them.
1 Corinthians is about what true love looks and acts like.  If God is love, then 1 Corinthians also describes how He loves us.
So, I've altered my plan a little...
Each week we'll still focus on a characteristic of love but it will be about that love, toward us, from God.
I don't want my children to think that this relationship with Jesus is all about "getting it right" and "playing by the rules." 
I want them to know that this relationship with Jesus is first, about how much He loves them. 
Enough to die for them.
If they can grasp how wide, how deep, how high, how long the love of God is...loving others will be a natural outcome.
It will be a good refresher course for me too.  That's an understatement. 

2 comments:

Nic Ash said...

This, is great pastor christy

Kathleen said...

Love it when the Holy Spirit "hits" us like that!
What an encouragement. Always looking for that new perspective to give His word deeper meaning!

Post a Comment